A Guide to IRS Problem Resolution

Hutton Tax Solutions is available to assist eligible taxpayers with IRS problem resolution. Get help resolving your tax problems today!

Why Do You Need an IRS Problem Resolution?

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is an agency that collects federal taxes from individuals and businesses in the United States. It also issues tax refunds, manages taxpayer accounts, and enforces tax law. The IRS is a huge organization, and it can be hard to get the help you need.

There are many reasons why you might need to undergo a problem resolution with the IRS:

  • You owe taxes but cannot pay them
  • You have been contacted by the IRS about unpaid taxes or about an overdue balance on your account
  • You filed but did not receive a refund on time or have not received any correspondence from the agency since filing

Taxpayers have the right to raise objections and provide additional documentation in response to formal IRS actions. They can also expect that the IRS will consider their objections and give them a response if they don’t agree with the taxpayer’s position.

For example, a taxpayer has the right to petition or appeal if they disagree with the IRS’s notice, the right to challenge proposing a tax adjustment, or an opportunity for a hearing before a collection action.

IRS problem resolution is the process of resolving tax-related problems. If you take the proper steps, the IRS will work with you to ensure that your tax account is accurate and that you are compliant with the law. You can also contact Hutton Tax Solutions for IRS tax help.

What Is Tax Problem Resolution?

Tax Problem Resolution is the process of resolving disagreements or misunderstandings between taxpayers and the IRS. The IRS has a Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) that helps resolve these disputes.

The TAS is an independent organization that provides free help to taxpayers who are either:

  • Experiencing economic harm
  • Seeking help in resolving IRS issues that have not been resolved through normal channels
  • Who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should.

In other words, if you have tried to resolve your tax issue through regular IRS channels unsuccessfully or if you believe an IRS procedure is not working as it should, you may be eligible for help from the TAS.
If a taxpayer qualifies for their help, they will get an assigned advocate whose job will be to help them resolve their tax issue.
The TAS can offer taxpayer assistance by phone, online chat, and email to help solve their taxpayer problems.


The IRS will not be able to help you with your tax problem if they do not have all of the information that they need. They need to know your personal information, such as:

  • Name

  • Address

  • Date of birth

  • Social security number or another identification number

They also need to know the details of your tax problem, including income, interest, and amount owed, whether there is a hardship or a lien on your property, and any other relevant information. If you have received an official letter or notice from an organization within the IRS, you should keep it handy for reference.

If you are unable to provide them with all of this information, or if the situation feels too complex for you, you may want to find a reputable tax attorney who can help.

How Can a Tax Attorney Help?

A tax attorney or professional review your paperwork and assess your situation. They can get to know your situation more in-depth and start the process of coming up with a solution to your problem.

After that, your tax attorney will typically create a plan to help you work with the IRS and come up with a resolution that would be favorable to everyone involved.


The IRS Problem Resolution Program is a program that helps individuals resolve their tax issues. They offer three types of programs:

  1. Taxpayer Advocate Service: It provides assistance to taxpayers who have experienced economic harm, or are facing significant obstacles in resolving tax problems with the IRS.
  2. Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TAC): These centers provide face-to-face assistance in communities nationwide, and they offer taxpayers help in resolving tax issues that can’t be handled at a TAC or online.
  3. Taxpayer Ombudsman: They provide assistance to taxpayers who have been unable to get a resolution through normal channels and are not eligible for the other two types of programs.

The Problem Resolution Center helps taxpayers resolve their tax-related issues. The center provides assistance with the following:

  • Tax return preparation
  • Tax account inquiries
  • Taxpayer education
  • Identity theft resolution
  • IRS collection matters

Since the IRS has four years to resolve a dispute before it becomes an uncollectible debt, they tend to pursue outstanding debts aggressively. Having a skilled professional attorney from a reputable office on your side to answer on your behalf offers peace of mind.

What Can You Do If You Have a Tax Problem?

If you have a tax problem, you may find it challenging to handle. Although some IRS tax issues are easy to address, others are complex and require hiring a professional who can work directly with the IRS and sort things out.

The most important thing is to understand what the issue is about. The majority of tax issues involve inaccurate tax returns, not filing a tax return, not having the money to pay for your tax debt, as well as discrepancies between your tax return and what the IRS has in its records.

When the exact problem is identified, it’s crucial to learn the best options to resolve the problem. For example, if you can’t pay your tax debt, finding a favorable payment plan for both you and the IRS may sound like a great solution.

Those with several tax issues will have to find and coordinate tax problem solutions. But bear in mind that each solution comes with different consequences and requirements.

For personalized assistance, contact a tax resolution firm like Hutton Tax Solutions. An experienced attorney is prepared to offer boutique-type services to fit your needs.

How Can You Contact the IRS?

If you want to speak with a live person at the IRS regarding the current or a previous tax year, you should call their toll-free self-service number 1-800-829-1040 and follow the prompts. You will be asked a series of questions to determine if you are eligible to speak with one of the tax pros.

If you are not eligible, then the automated systems will offer suggestions for filling out form 12153 to request a callback. For additional assistance, contact Hutton Tax Solutions for help with your claim.